What is Medicaid managed care?
Managed care is a type of health insurance program. When you enroll in managed care, you become a member of a health plan. Depending on where you live, you will have many health plans to choose from. You will also choose a primary care provider (PCP) who works with your health plan. Your health plan provides care coordination.
Care coordination is when your PCP, specialists and other healthcare providers work together. They know your healthcare needs and the services you get. As a member of a managed care health plan, you have a care coordinator. Your care coordinator can:
- Answer questions about your care
- Work with you to create an individual plan of care
- Help you find doctors and specialists
- Help you find transportation to medical appointments
- Help you manage your prescription medicines
- Help you transition out of a hospital or facility
- Help connect you with community resources